While children are taught by a qualified Early Childhood Educator (ECE), Sidney Cooperative Preschool is parent-operated. It is administered and maintained by the parents on a non-profit, non-sectarian, inter-cultural basis.
Under the guidance of our ECE, parents assist in the classroom which makes for a unique learning experience.
Parent participation varies. As such, our fees have 2 tiers: full participation and partial participation. Please find more information on our monthly fees here.
Parents are required to:
- attend a monthly general meeting (approx. 1 hour in length);
- participate in all fundraising events (3-5 per year);
- complete the weekly set up/put away of the classroom (approx. once per month);
- participate in 1 master clean (there are 3 per year, approx. 2 hours each);
- fulfil either an executive role, or, a member-at-large general duty job (see ‘Parent Jobs’ below for more information); and
- pay a registration fee and monthly tuition on time
In addition to the above duties, parents are required to:
- assist in the classroom as a Duty Parent (1 to 2 times per month);
- complete 10 hours of pre-arranged orientation sessions with other parents and the ECE (completed within a month of your start
- attend monthly parent education sessions (approx. 1-1.5 hours, usually directly following the monthly general meeting)
Our monthly parent education is outstanding! We bring in pediatricians, child psychologists, speech pathologists, nutritionists, experts in early childhood literacy, numeracy, health, and more.
Each family is responsible for fulfilling a job over the course of the year. Please refer to the list of parent jobs and their outlines for more information.
For a more detailed overview, please refer to Sidney Preschool’s Parent Handbook for information about the Preschool’s history, philosophy, daily routine, policies, and more.
If you have further questions, please email email@example.com